About TLA Immigration
The Talent and Immigration Working Group was the first working group launched within Tech London Advocates. It was launched to help the tech sector ‘have a voice’. Much of the group’s early work involved working directly with government to examine immigration and visa policy and make it more accessible to the tech sector.
Examples of the group’s work include:
- Taking the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) on a tech tour of London – this helped the MAC understand the needs of the tech sector.
- Making representations to the MAC, which led to tech roles being added on to the shortage occupation list.
- Partnering with the Home Office on ‘The Home Office Hours’ programme – a series of workshops which were aimed at helping the tech sector understand immigration routes available to them.
- Advocating on behalf of the sector by arranging meetings with Government officials – where the tech sector was represented.
- Advising on the re-design of the Exceptional Talent visa – now the Global Talent visa.
- Contributing to the Kalifa review – which has recommended the Scale up visa route
- Lobbying for immigration rule changes, for example the abolition of the Tier 2 visa cap and lobbying for virtual right to work checks.
- Supporting the tech sector through their visa journey.
Contribute to the site
Tell us your immigration story – we would love to hear your UK immigration story, if you would like to contribute a blog post and share your experiences, please get in touch.
We Demystify current immigration routes
Ensuring the tech sector makes the most of the options that are available.
We advocate on behalf of the sector
Ensuring that the brightest and best talent can come to the UK and contribute to the tech eco system.
Ensuring that immigration routes are ‘fit for purpose’.
Tech London Advocates
Tech London Advocates is an unrivalled collection of tech leaders, experts and investors uniting to form the most influential group in tech. With no government backing, this is the voice of the private sector in London. More than 10,000 advocates volunteer their time to campaign for the future of London tech. https://www.techlondonadvocates.org.uk/
TLA Immigration Group leadership team works on activities that fit the TLA Immigration objectives.
Pat co-head’s the TLA Immigration working group. In her day job she is the head of immigration at city law firm Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP, with 25 years’ immigration experience.
No immigration issue related to the tech sector is ever too small for Pat! Pat can be contacted by email on email@example.com.
Matt co-head’s the TLA Immigration working group. In his main role, he runs The People Collective, a consultancy aiding startups and scaleups to put in the right people strategies and approaches to grow.
Matt is always available for comment or advisory and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org